We recently made the Apple Crumble Porridge from the lovely Jordanna’s blog over at The Inspired Table and to say it was a hit would be a major understatement. Easy to make, totally delicious and sweet enough naturally to not need any maple syrup or honey added = major bonus. It is the perfect winter warmer.
Apple Crumble Porridge
* We doubled the recipe because making breakfast with a buddy is way more fun
1 cup of rolled Oats
Your choice of soaking liquid (see her blog post for more on soaking oats, its really interesting)
2 small Apples, grated
6 Prunes, chopped (we used Dates instead)
1 teaspoon Maca (optional)
1 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
pinch of sea Salt
1/2 cup Water or Milk of your choice
Coconut yoghurt, to serve
2 tablespoon Coconut flakes
2 teaspoon Sunflower seeds
8 Pecans, coarsely chopped
2 teaspoon activated Buckwheat (buckinis)
1 teaspoon Sesame seeds (we used flax)
sprinkle of ground Cinnamon
*She also suggests that at this point if you really want it to taste like Apple Crumble you can add a 1/2 teaspoon of butter and a drizzle of Maple syrup, which of course we did.
** We also made a bigger batch of this to store in the cupboard for next time
* Soak oats in your choice of soaking liquid (we used filtered water with a splash of lemon juice) It should just cover the oats. Leave at room temperature overnight.
* To make crumble place all the ingredients in a small frying pan over medium heat, and toast tossing frequently for about 2-3 minute so until golden. Remove from heat.
* Add soaked oats to a small saucepan over medium heat with apple, prunes (dates), cinnamon, salt and water or milk of your choice.
* Stir over medium heat for 3-5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Transfer porridge to a serving bowl.
* Sprinkle with crumble topping. Dollop with yoghurt, to serve.
YUM. Thanks Jordanna! x